Should amalgamation proceed, a Transition Consultant would be hired to recommend options for consolidating services, regulations and bylaws, in the process of becoming one municipality.
The Transition Consultant would report jointly to the current Councils, and subsequently to the new council, providing a recommended transition strategy and implementation plan, as well as recommendations on the order in which items need to be addressed. Responsibilities of the Transition Consultant would include the following tasks:
- Developing a communications protocol for the joint council to endorse
- Recommending an appropriate organizational structure, staffing plan and suggested timing to facilitate effective and efficient delivery of municipal services for the newly created municipality
- Recommending space plan options to accommodate the municipal administration and operations
- Recommending priorities and suggested timing for bylaw and policy harmonization
- Recommending any service contracts that should be consolidated, renegotiated or cancelled
- Making recommendations for a community engagement process to come up with a new name for the amalgamated municipality
More information on municipal reorganization tasks, should amalgamation proceed, can be found on pages 100-105 of the Technical Report.